Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Gender Equity

A friend said the other day:

I don’t understand why some guys want to undergo operation and become girls. Being a guy is great what.”

To which I replied, “You can’t see it that way, some girls also undergo the same thing to be guys what. Being a girl is not half bad either.”

In hopes of closing the topic. Fail.

That’s because being a guy is really great ma!”

Then he went on commenting on how great guys are and what they could do without the inconveniences girls often have. I prefer not to go into detail.

At that moment I was at lost for words. For the love of the devil I could not think of a single thing to defend females, to think of things girls could do that guys couldn’t.

It’s an equal world today, where guys can sometimes do things that are associated with females far better than the latter, and vice versa.

The one way conversation emphasized a lot on the natural strength guys have. To which, yes, I agree. The strongest female on earth may just be a little stronger than the above average guy. But then again, that same female would be ridiculed by guys for the muscles she built in training.

As I listened to his rant, I realized again that, despite the whole gender equity thing, there are still many people who hold on to male superiority.

Also the reminder that when these people see others, the first thing that registers in their mind is “Oh, she’s a girl. Oh, he’s a guy.”

For one thing when I see a person, its gender is far, far below my train of thought. I, for some unknown reason, do not care. I may not even think, “Oh, right, he’s a guy” until someone role calls for guys to stand in front and females to stand behind or something like that. I see you, I see a human. I see an ‘it’. Period.

I admit, yes, guys are stronger. So what? That’s about the ONLY thing they have an edge over females. In terms of intellect and other things, it’s still pretty much a far fight. Things traditionally associated with either gender do not limit us now, girls can be mechanics and guys can be tailors for goddamn sakes. The limitations and boundaries are GONE, merged into an unidentifiable mess.

I can’t really argue this anymore because I will contradict myself.

I’m not saying that females are better than males or vice versa. I’m not saying I disagree, but I don’t agree either.

But what I’m really saying is that, to hell with gender differences and all that. You do not go around saying or thinking, “Hey, I’m better than you because I’m born a guy”. No. If you ARE better, it’s purely because you are a better PERSON than the other. It has NOTHING to do with your goddamn gender.

2 comments:

silveraven said...

aish, so stupid! i don't know this guy right? should give him a good whacking in the head. if guys so great, why still need girls to give birth? THEY GIVE BIRTH THEMSELVES LA. ngong~

we each have our own functions. we're created to balance things out. if there are no females in the world, humanity would cease to exist. period.

Davis said...

*high five* totally agree. and unfortunately, you DO know him. haha.