Wednesday, November 09, 2011

A tribute to you


You were born, possibly due to irresponsibility.
Whether directly or indirectly.
By chance, you found your way to me, where you were to be released from this irresponsible world you were bred into.
I took you in. You had no choice but to accept.
I watched you grow.
They said you would be big. Bigger still if you had access to everything you could devour.
I watched you learn all the selfish things I wanted to teach you.
You knew. And you would grudgingly oblige me.
Your freedom was something I took in exchange for my hospitality.
I did all I could, and all I could ill afford, to try to ensure you at least had a healthy life.
I tried to make you happy to the best of my ability.
Were you? 
I wasn’t there much after your teenage years.
And after you reached adulthood still my presence in your life was infrequent.
But you were always in mine. 
You wandered away sometimes, but you always stayed near.
If you didn’t, you’d still always return.
Back home.
Now you didn’t. 
You couldn’t.
I watched you leave.
Did you wait so that I could do so?
I wish you happiness wherever you are now.
I miss you. Already.
I’ll find you. Someday.
If you’d still have me.
Come find me sometimes.
I promise I won’t be scared.
But don’t linger too long, move on when you can.
I love you. Always.